Wednesday 1 May 2013

A Serpent in Our Midst



In Tanzania it is common for "wealthier" people and mzungus to have an askari (security guard) to guard the houses at night.  I’ve always thought the askari who looks after my house has an quite an easy job, as Nyangao is not exactly a crime hotspot!  
 He is a pleasant old fellow whom I have nicknamed “the shuffler” due to him shuffling past my window at night on his “patrol”… that’s when he is not curled up asleep underneath the kitchen window… a trait common in many askaris which has spawned the phrase for a good nights sleep:
                “How did you sleep last night?”… “ooh, I slept like an askari”

So my askari may not have to deal with ruffians, reprobates or ne’er-do-wells but he does have other challenges in his job… I was sat on my back porch one evening with my laptop, and I heard his shuffling approach.  I’m still not great at Swahili so my understanding of our conversation went something like this:

 Askari:  “something something something death/dead/to die something something”
                
 Me  sorry, I don’t understand, say again slowly”

Askari  (still at the same speed) “something something something death/dead/to die something something to hit/beat/strike something something” … “come, come”
                 
Me “ Ok, I’m coming”
                
 So he leads me round to the front of the house and proudly shows me a massive snake that he has killed by hitting it on the head with a stout stick!
                
 Askari “ I hit it and killed it”
                 
Me “ aah, you hit it, thankyou!”  “Where was it?”
                 
Askari “ There”.. pointing to the small puddle of snake blood outside the kitchen window where he usually sleeps
                 
Me  wow!   It dangerous?”
               
Askari “ Yes, dangerous, very dangerous”
               
 Me “ Thankyou! I will look when I walk”
eeek!

One squashed-headed snake
So I think he has earned the flask of tea we make him each night, and I shan’t complain about his snoring or his shuffling anymore!   Also, I have now taught myself the Swahili word for snake “ Nyoka”…. I think it might come in useful!


No comments:

Post a Comment